For the pudding
1. Coconut milk 1 cup
2. Tapioca pearls/Sabudana ¼ cup, cooked to opaque
3. Sweetened condensed milk 1/3 cup
4. Sweetened coconut flakes 3 TBSP (optional)
5. Custard powder 2 TBSP (neutral flavor, I used birds eye brand)
6. Cardamom powder 2 pinches
For the banana sauce
1. Medium ripe banana 1 small, mashed using a fork
2. Brown sugar ¼ cup
3. Ghee/butter 1 tsp
4. Water 1 TBSP
- In a saucepan, add the ghee/butter, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil and add the mashed bananas. Stir continuously for 10-15 minutes until a saucy consistency is attained. Remove from flame and set aside to cool.
- In another pan, add the tapioca pearls/sabudana and warm for 5 minutes. Add lots of water and cook till the pearls are opaque (it took me a good 30 minutes at medium high flame). Immediately drain and wash under cold water. This will prevent the pearls from sticking together.
- Lastly in another saucepan, add the custard powder, coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk. Mix well to dissolve the custard powder and place on a medium flame for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add in the sweetened coconut flakes and cardamom powder. Mix to combine and add the cooked tapioca pearls. Mix well and remove from flame. Allow to cool and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Serving suggestion: You can either serve as parfaits with alternating pudding and banana sauce and garnish with banana slices and cherry OR simply serve pudding in a bowl topped with banana sauce.