Today’s recipe is a simple kerala style stir fry with coconut which is an integral part of every household’s lunch menu. I learned to prepare this thoran from my dearest friend chitra’s mom, Shobhana aunty. She is an amazing cook, and I cant thank her enough for coming up with such a unique recipe. Instead of adding fresh grated coconut, she dry roasted coconut with spices and then used it here, which adds more flavor and texture to the final dish. I hope you will enjoy this delicios thoran like we did …
1. Mushroom/Koon 2 cups, chopped
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Salt ½ tsp
Water 2 cups
Add turmeric powder and salt to water, mix well and add the chopped mushroom. Keep aside for 10 minutes. Drain the water using a colander (arippa) and add mushrooms/Koon to a cooking vessel with 1 cup water and enough salt. Cook this to dry.
2. Red onion 2 medium, finely chopped
3. Coconut bits (thengakothu) ¼ cup
4. Grated coconut ½ cup
Red chilly powder ½ tsp
Coriander powder ½ tsp
Garam masala ½ tsp
5. Salt as needed
6. Curry leaves 1 sprig
7. Oil 2 tsp
- Dry roast ingredients numbered 4 in a pan till golden brown. Allow to cool and using a blender crush a little bit. Set aside
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and sauté the coconut bits/thengakoth till golden brown color.
- Add the chopped onions and curry leaves and sauté till translucent.
- Next add the cooked mushrooms/koon and mix well. Adjust salt if needed.
- Add the crushed coconut mixture and combine well with mushrooms/koon and switch off from flame.
- Serve this mushroom/koon thoran with rice.