1. Dried chana/vella kadala 1 cup, soaked for atleast 8 hours
2. Coconut slices/thengakoth ½ cup
3. Red onion 1 big, finely chopped
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
4. Red chilly powder ½ tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Garam masala ½ tsp
*You can replace the spice powders with 2 TBSP chicken masala powder also.
5. Mustard seeds ½ tsp
6. Oil 1 TBSP
7. Salt as needed
- Pressure cook the soaked chana or vella kadala with 2 ½ cups water and enough salt for 2 whistles. Allow pressure to release by itself and set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add the coconut slices/thengakoth and sauté till it starts to acquire a light golden color.
- Add ingredients numbered 2 and sauté till raw smell from garlic goes away.
- Add all the spice powders or chicken masala if you are using that and mix well with the onions.
- Now add the cooked chana or vella kadala with the liquid if any and mix well with the masala. Cook this until dry.
- Enjoy this chana ularthu with rice or rotis..