1. Fish ¼ kg, cut to medium size pieces (I used Tilapia)
2. Shallots 8 nos, thinly sliced
3. Ginger, Garlic 2 tsp, crushed (about ½ inch ginger and 2 cloves garlic)
4. Curry leaves 1 sprig
5. Red chilly powder ½ tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Coriander powder ¼ tsp
Fenugreek powder 2 pinches
*Make a paste of the above powders with 1 TBSP water
6. Salt as needed
7. Oil 1 TBSP
8. Gamboge (Kudam puli) 2 pieces
9. Hot water ¾ cup
- Heat oil preferably in a claypot or a pan and sauté ginger, garlic and curry leaves until aroma develops.
- Next add the sliced shallots and salt and sauté till translucent.
- Follow up with ingredients numbered 5 made into a paste and mix well. Cook this until oil separates.
- Add water and once boiling add the fish pieces along with gamboge.
- Cook this at medium heat until dry. Enjoy this Meen vevichu pattichathu with rice and moru curry…