1. Toor/Tuvar dal /thuvara parippu 1 cup
2. Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
Green chilly 2 nos, finely chopped
Ginger 1 small piece, chopped
Garlic 1 clove, chopped
Onion ¼ cup, chopped
3. Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
4. Salt as needed
5. Oil 2 tsp
6. Water 2 ½ cups
- Wash the dal well under running water 3 times. Transfer to a pressure cooker along with enough salt and 2 cups water, pressure cook to 2 whistles. Allow pressure to release itself and set aside.
- In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Next add all the other ingredients numbered 2 and sauté till onions turn translucent.
- Add turmeric powder and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour the cooked dal along with the liquid plus ½ cup more water. Cook till boiling, check for salt and garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy this simple comfort dal with rotis …
Notes: You can also add a small tomato along with the ingredients 2 while cooking.