ONAM, the much awaited grand festival of Kerala is fast approaching and households in the villages of Kerala are busy preparing for the grand family unions and sumptuous feasts. Here I am with a unique, easy and delicious paayasam you can add onto your onam recipe list this year to make it a grand feast. This sweet potato paayasam tastes very similar to the parippu paayasam and is best served warm..Hope you all will like it and wish you all a Happy and eventful Onam 2013! Please click on the pookalam/Floral design picture to view all other ona sadhya recipes featured on Pazham Pappadam Paaysam..
1. Sweet potato 2 cups, boiled and mashed
2. Jaggery 1 ½ cup, grated
3. Cashew nuts ¼ cup
4. Roasted vermicelli 2 tablespoon
5. Ghee 1 tablespoon
6. 2% milk 1 cup
7. Heavy whipping cream ¼ cup
8. Water 1 cup
- Boil 1 cup water in a pan and add the grated jaggery. Bring to a boil and cook until the volume reduces to half.
- Add the boiled and mashed sweet potato to this and cook till boiling.
- Now add the cashew nuts and milk. Mix well to combine and cook again till boiling.
- Switch off flame and add ghee and heavy whipping cream. Mix well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Decorate with roasted vermicelli and enjoy!
This recipe was featured in the first edition of Malayali magazine.