1. Kumbalanga/Ashgourd 1 cup, cut to thin pieces
Green chilly 2 small, slit
Ginger 1 inch piece, julienned
Curry leaves a few
2. Thick coconut milk ½ cup
3. Water ¾ cup
4. Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Shallots 3 nos, thinly sliced
5. Coconut oil 1 tsp
6. Salt as needed
- In a pan, add Kumbalanga/ash gourd, green chilly, ginger, curry leaves, water and salt. Cook this until kumbalanga/ash gourd is soft and changed to opaque.
- Add the thick coconut milk and cook for another 3 minutes and remove from flame.
- In another pan, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds. Add the sliced shallots and sauté till golden color and pour over the curry.
- Enjoy this yummy Kumbalanga/ash gourd paal curry with appam, idiyappam or rice.