Homemade pickles are always great, isnt it? I used to wait for my holidays to India to bring back all those goodies and enjoy it back in US. But slowly I learnt that it is much more easier to make at home than I thought it would be, say pickles or other readymade powders like puttu, appam, idiyappam powders (will share recipes soon). This is a little different from the traditional kerala style pickles, but yet tastes great. Serves well with rice and even as a relish for burgers and sandwiches..
1. Beetroot 2 large, thinly sliced to strips
2. Water ½ cup
3. Garlic 1 TBSP, finely chopped
4. Curry leaves 2 sprigs, finely chopped
5. Granulated sugar 3 tsp
6. Black pepper powder 1 tsp
7. Bay leaf 1 no
Cinnamon stick 1
Cloves 2 nos
8. White vinegar ½ cup
9. Olive oil/any cooking oil 2 TBSP
10. Salt as required
- Cook the beetroot with ½ cup water and ingredients numbered 7 in a pan till tender and allow the liquid to evaporate completely. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat oil and saute garlic and curry leaves till aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Now add the cooked beetroot, sugar, pepper powder and salt. Mix well to combine and cook for another 5 minutes at low heat.
- Lastly add the vinegar and mix well. Increase heat to high and cook for 3 more minutes. Switch off flame and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container and use within a week.