Firstly let me thank my dad for sending me this awesome picture. This was one recipe that I wanted to photograph while in Kerala but couldn’t do it. I love love chena/yam and always wanted to share this simple mezhukkupuratti here, as it is really different and uses only minimal ingredients. This is how my mom cooks and she likes to keep it simple and always says that to bring out the perfect flavor from chena/yam is not to add anything else with it especially when making mezhukkupurattis or stir fry. So here it is friends and once again thanks a lot Achaaaa….
1. Chena/yam ¼ kg, cut to small cubes
2. Red chilly powder ½ tsp
3. Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
4. Salt as required
5. Coconut oil/any oil 1 ½ TBSP
6. Water 2-3 TBSP
- Add the washed, cubed chena/yam to a non stick pan and cook covered for 15-20 minutes at medium heat, sprinkling water every 5 minutes.
- Open lid and add oil, mix well and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Next add red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt. Combine well with the chena/yam and cook this at medium high heat until crisp or the moisture is completely evaporated (valiyikkuka). It took about 12 minutes for me (make sure not to burn the chena/yam, if it starts to burn, reduce flame and cook).
- Serve with rice..