1. Basmati rice 2 cups, washed and soaked in water for 20 minutes
2. Carrot 2 medium, finely chopped
Green peas ½ cup, cooked
Onion 1 small, finely chopped
Beans 10 nos, thinly sliced
Cauliflower 8 florets, finely chopped
3. Onion 1 medium, thinly sliced
Cashew nuts 10 nos
Raisins 10 nos
4. Salt as required
5. Bay leaf 3 nos
6. Ghee 2 TBSP
7. Water 4 ½ cups
- Drain water from the rice and set aside.
- Deep fry thinly sliced onions to golden brown color, drain excess oil and set aside for garnishing. In the same oil fry the cashews and raisins and set aside.
- Heat 1 TBSP ghee in a deep bottomed vessel and add the rice, fry well at medium high heat for 4-5 minutes. Now add 4 ½ cups water, bay leaves and enough salt. Mix well and cook until 90% water evaporates. Switch off flame and keep the rice covered for 15 minutes. By now the rice will have cooked to perfect grains. Slowly flake the rice using a fork.
- Heat rest of the ghee in another pan and add all the vegetables. Mix well to combine and saute on high heat for 5 minutes, until everything starts to soften. Adjust salt if needed.
- Reduce flame and add the rice. Mix well to combine and switch off flame.
- Garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts and raisins and serve.