1. Fish ½ kg, cut to small pieces (I used 2 big tilapia fillets)
2. Onion 1 small, thinly sliced (I used yellow onin, but red or white will work fine too)
3. Ginger 1 inch piece, roughly chopped
Garlic 2 large cloves, roughly chopped
Green chilly 1 no, slit
Curry leaves a few
4. Red chilly powder 1 ½ tsp, heaping
Coriander powder 1 tsp, heaping
Turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
Fenugreek powder (ഉലുവ പൊടിച്ചത്) 1/8 tsp
5. Any brand Fish masala 1 TBSP, heaping ( I prefer Eastern’s fish masala)
6. Tomato 1 medium, chopped
7. Salt as needed
8. Mustard seeds ½ tsp
9. Coconut oil 1 ½ TBSP
10. Water 1 cup
- Heat coconut oil in a claypot (മണ്ച്ചട്ടി) and splutter mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds splutters, add the ginger, garlic, green chilly and curry leaves. Saute this until a nice aroma develops, about 3 minutes or so.
- Now add the sliced onions and saute till translucent.
- Meanwhile mix together ingredients numbered 4 with little water to a paste. If using fish masala add little water and make it to a paste too.
- Once onions are soft add this paste and cook at medium heat until oil separates.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Now add 1 cup water and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, add the fish and enough salt. Cook this for 20 minutes at medium heat or until fish pieces are cooked through and a thick gravy is attained.
- Switch off flame and serve with rice, puttu etc.