1. Okra/bhindi/vendakka 25 nos, about ¼ kg
2. Onion 1 big, cubed
3. Green chilly 2 nos, slit
4. Tomato 1 medium, cubed
5. Cumin seeds ¼ tsp, crushed
6. Red chilly powder ½ tsp
Coriander powder ½ TBSP
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
7. Oil 2 TBSP
8. Salt as required
- Wash and dry the okra/bhindi/vendakka well. Chop off the ends and then cut to 2 inch batons and slit the pieces horizontally making sure not to completely cut the batons into halves.
- Now heat oil in a non stick pan and splutter cumin seeds.
- Follow up with onions and saute till they fetch a golden brown color.
- Add green chilly and mix well, cook for 2 minutes and add tomato. Cook until tomato turns mushy.
- Next add the red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well to combine and add the okra/bhindi/Vendakka and give a good mix.
- Cook at medium low flame till the okra/bhindi/vendakka is completely cooked (took me about 25 minutes). Mix occasionally to avoid burning.
- Increase flame to high and cook for 2 more minutes and remove from flame. Serve with chappathis or rice.