Happy Vishu 2014 everyone!!!
Happy Vishu everyone. I had been super busy and to add to my craziness going on my laptop died two weeks back and hence the silence here. I wanted to keep this space going and hence today i decided to steal M’s laptop and put up a new recipe. As Vishu is almost at our doorsteps thought to make a easy and yummy dessert. Vishu is definetly season of mangoes and aval is Lord Krishna favorite, so i combined these two and came up with a super easy payasam that can be made in no time. Hope you all enjoy!!!
1. Mango puree 1 cup
2. Aval/poha 1/3 cup, I used thin aval/poha
3. Milk 2 cups
4. Sugar 2 TBSP (use more if you like sweet taste)
5. Cardamom 2 pods
6. Saffron strands 2-3 nos
7. Cashew nuts 5 nos
8. Raisins 10 nos, I used golden raisins
9. Ghee 1 TBSP, divided
- Heat ½ TBSP ghee in a pan and roast the cashew nuts and raisins for a minute, remove and set is aside.
- Now add the aval/poha to the ghee and roast for 2 minutes at medium flame. Remove and set aside.
- Add rest of the ghee to the pan and add the mango puree along with crushed cardamom pods. Cook this at medium high flame for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, saffron and milk. Mix well and then add the roasted aval or poha.
- Reduce flame to medium and cook till boiling.
- Switch off flame and add the roasted cashew nuts and raisins and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or chilled.