1. Rice (Basmati/sona masoori) 1 cup
2. Mushroom 1 cup, finely chopped
3. Onion 1 small, finely chopped
4. Ginger 1 inch piece, chopped
Garlic 2 pods, finely chopped
5. Mint leaves 1 tsp, chopped
6. Tomato puree 1 tsp OR 1 small tomato chopped
7. Garam masala ½ tsp
Pepper powder ¼ tsp
8. Salt as needed
9. Butter 1 TBSP
- Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in a pan and saute ginger and garlic till aromatic.
- Follow up with onions, mushrooms, mint leaves and salt. Mix well and saute for 8 minutes at medium heat.
- Add garam masala, pepper powder and tomato puree/chopped tomato. Cook this until oil separates, about 4 minutes or so.
- Drain water from rice and add to a rice cooker along with the prepared masala. Add 2.5 cups water and cook till done.
- Alternatively, you can cook rice in an open pan the same way. Make sure to turn off the stove when 90% of water evaporates and keep covered until ready to be served.
- Serve with raita and pappad.