1. Potato 5 medium, peeled and cut to cubes
2. Onion 2 medium, thinly sliced
3. Tomato 1 medium, chopped
4. Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
5. Cinnamon stick 1 inch stick
Cloves 3 nos
Fennel seeds ½ tsp
6. Grated coconut ¼ cup
7. Red chilly powder ½ tsp
Coriander powder 1 heaping tsp
8. Turmeric powder a pinch
9. Salt as needed
10. Coconut oil 1 TBSP+ 1 tsp
11. Mustard seeds ½ tsp
12. Coriander leaves 5-6 sprigs
13. Water ½ cup +more for boiling potatoes
- Cook the potatoes with enough water adding salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add cinnamon stick, cloves and fennel seeds. Saute this for a minute and add the thinly sliced onions along with little salt. Saute until golden brown.
- Next add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes or till aromatic.
- Now lower flame and add the red chilly powder and coriander powder. Mix well with the onions and follow up with tomatoes.
- Cook this covered for 4 minutes at medium flame until tomatoes are mushy. Open lid and add the coriander leaves and cook for 1 more minute. Switch off flame and allow to cool.
- Transfer this to a blender cup along with grated coconut and grind to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Add the paste to the boiled potatoes with ½ cup water. Switch the flame back on and cook till boiling.
- In another pan add 1 tsp oil and splutter mustard seeds, pour this over the curry and enjoy with rotis, appam, idiyappam, dosa or even rice!