1. Chicken thighs/drumsticks 4 pieces, skin removed
2. Red onion 1 small
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic 6 cloves
Green chilly 4 small
Tomato 1 small
3. Greek yogurt 1 cup (if using regular yogurt, hung it in a cheese cloth for 30 minutes to remove all water content)
Lemon juice 2 TBSP
Arabian masala (recipe follows) 3 tsp, heaping
Salt, pepper as needed
Olive oil 2 tsp
Recipe for Arabian masala:
1. Cumin seeds ½ cup
2. Fennel seeds ½ cup
3. Cinnamon stick 3 two inch sticks
4. Whole coriander seeds ½ cup
5. Whole pepper corns ¼ cup
6. Dry red chilly 6-8 nos (use according to your spice preference)
7. Turmeric powder 2 TBSP
Dry roast everything except turmeric powder at medium low flame for 10 minutes. Cool completely and blend to a fine powder along with turmeric powder. Store in an air tight container. This recipes makes about a cup of the masala.
- Clean and make silts on the chicken pieces.
- Blend together ingredients numbered 2 to a smooth paste. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add yogurt, lemon juice, Arabian masala, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix well to combine.
- Now add the chicken and incorporate well with the marinade. Keep in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Place the marinated chicken onto a foiled tray and bake for 30 minutes. Change the oven mode to BROIL and cook for 1 minute. Immediately remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Alternately you can use a grill to cook the chicken.