Mediterranean cuisine is one of my favorite and baba ghanouj is something I will never say NO to. I simply love it. I have successfully recreated the “BEST” baba ghanouj I ever tasted at home and is sharing with you all. When we were in Louisiana, there was an “Al Basha” close to our house and Friday nights were a treat as we order food from there. They serve the best baba ghanouj I ever had and I am happy that now I can make my favorite at home. I love making my own tahini as well as I hate those store bought ones. Its very easy and you will love it even more…
1. Eggplant 2 medium sized
2. Homemade or store-bought tahini 3 TBSP (recipe below for home made version)
Salt ¾ tsp or as u need
Freshly squeezed lemon juice 3 tsp
Garlic 2 cloves
Chilly powder 3 pinches
Olive oil 2 TBSP
Parsley or cilantro leaves half a bunch, finely chopped (I used 1 TBSP dried parsley)
Pre heat oven to 400 F.
- Wash and pat dry the eggplant and prick outside a few times using a fork. Place it on a baking tray lined with foil and roast in the pre heated oven for 30-40 minutes, until they are soft. We should be able to easily poke a fork or knife and should not meet any resistance, that’s when its cooked prefect. OR
- You can directly char the eggplants on direct flame of a gas burner turning them a few times until all skin is charred.
- Remove and let it cool a little bit.
- Either peel off the skin and chop into pieces or split open the eggplant into half and scrape out the pulp.
- Add this to a blender along with ingredients numbered 2 and blend to smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle little more olive oil on top.
- Serve with pita bread, or chips or spread on a toast and enjoy.
- Notes: this can be stored in a refrigerator for up to a week.
Homemade tahini recipe: yields about 6 TBSPs
White sesame seeds ½ cup
Olive oil 2 TBSP
Salt as needed
Pre heat oven to 350 F.
Spread the sesame seeds on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 4 minutes. Take it out and mix with a spoon and respreads the seeds. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. Immediately transfer to another bowl for preventing from further cooking. Allow to cool a bit and transfer to a blender cup along with salt and olive oil. Blend till smooth. Add more oil if required. Store in an air tight container in the fridge for 2 weeks.