Hey, how are y’ll doing? Life is been busy lately with trips, guests and getting some rest. The following recipe is different from the usual Kerala thorans as I have used black pepper instead of green chilly. This is a wonderful side dish for rice and as Onam is in 2 weeks you can try this simple yet different thoran for your sadya…..
1. Kothamarakka/Cluster beans ½ kg, chopped finely
2. Grated coconut ¼ cup
3. Cumin seeds 2 pinches
4. Black pepper powder ½ tsp
5. Mustard seeds ¼ tsp
6. Salt as needed
7. Oil 2 tsp
- Wash and pat dry the cluster beans/kothamarakka and finely chop them.
- Crush together grated coconut and cumin seeds. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crackle add the chopped kothamarakka/cluster beans and mix well. Add salt and keep covered at medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring in between for once or twice to avoid burning.
- Open lid and add the pepper powder, mix well and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Next add the crushed coconut mixture and incorporate well. Cook for another 2 minutes and remove from flame.
- Serve with rice.