Who doesn’t love chicken, right? Chicken is every meat lover’s favorite and its same with my family too. We love dry chicken preparations and this peralan is a perfect fit. It has the authentic Kerala taste with a great texture and will please your palettes without any complaints. I don’t know why this peralan took this long to make it here in the blog, as it is regular on our dinner tables…Hope you all will enjoy too…
1. Chicken ½ kg, I used chicken breasts, cut to bite size pieces
2. Onion 1 medium, chopped
Shallots 10 nos, halved
Ginger 1 inch piece, crushed
Garlic 2 pods, crushed
3. Onion 1 medium, thinly sliced
4. Tomato 1 medium, chopped
5. Curry leaves 2 sprigs
6. Coriander leaves 2 TBSP, roughly chopped
7. Black pepper powder ½ TBSP
Red chilly powder 2 tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Garam masala ½ tsp
Fennel seeds ½ tsp, crushed
8. Salt as needed
9. Coconut oil 1 TBSP
10. Water 1 cup
- Clean and cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add chopped onions, shallots, ginger, garlic, black pepper powder, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, fennel seeds and salt. Add chicken to this and incorporate well with the masala and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, and saute sliced onions until golden brown color. Add tomato and salt along with curry leaves and coriander leaves and cook this until oil separates.
- Now add the marinated chicken and cook at medium heat uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and salt if necessary, mix well and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Open lid and cook the chicken until all water has evaporated and oil starts to separates.
- Remove from fire and serve with rice, rotis or anything you enjoy it with….