Similar to the popular Kerala Aviyal, this vegetable medley is sure to please your palate. This has little lighter flavors compared to aviyal and the vegetable flavors are more as we are not using any spice powders..Hope you will like it..
1. Raw Plantain/Kaya 1 small, cut to batons
Long beans/Achinga payar 10 nos, cut to batons
Zucchini 1, cut to 1 inch pieces
Ivy gourd/Kovakka 5 nos, cut in half
Cucumber/Vellarikka small piece, cut to batons
Bitter gourd/Pavakka 1 medium, cut to small pieces
2. Grated coconut 1 ½ cup
3. Green chilly 3 nos
4. Shallots 3 nos
5. Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
6. Yogurt 1 cup
7. Curry leaves a few
8. Salt as needed
9. Coconut oil 2 TBSP
- Wash, clean and cut the vegetables. Then in a wide mouth pan, add all the veggies except bitter gourd and cook with salt and enough water. When the veggies are half done, add the bittergourd and little more water and cook till done.
- Meanwhile, grind the grated coconut along with green chilly and shallots to a coarse paste.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add this coconut paste to the pan along with curry leaves and mix well. Cook this for few minutes.
- Now reduce flame and add the beaten yogurt and incorporate well with the vegetables.
- Switch off flame and sprinkle the coconut oil on top and keep it covered until ready to serve..
Recipe courtesy: Lakshmi Nair, Magic oven