I have always loved parathas, be it sweet or savory. I first tasted methi theplas after coming to US when a friend os mine made it for me and from that day, I fell in love with it. This has become a regular on our dinner table and here is how we like it in the household. Hope you will enjoy these too…
1. Whole wheat flour/Atta 2 cups
2. Yogurt ½ cup
3. Cumin seeds, crushed ½ tsp
4. Turmeric powder ¾ tsp
5. Asafetida a few pinches
6. Red chilly powder ½ tsp
7. Fresh fenugreek leaves/methi ½ cup, finely chopped
8. Oil 2 tsp + more for making theplas
9. Salt as required
- Wash and rinse the fenugreek leaves/Methi and finely chop them including the stems.
- Now in a wide mouth bowl, add the whole wheat flour, followed by all other ingredients. Mix this well with your palms and make a dough like chappathi. Sprinkle water as needed. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal sized portions like how you do for chappathis. This will make about 12-15 theplas.
- Now dust each balls in dry flour and roll them out thin and repeat the same process with the remaining balls.
- Heat a tawa at medium high. And add little oil, place the rolled out theplas and allow to cook for 30 seconds or until the air pockets are visible. At this time smear little oil and flip the thepla. Press lightly using a spatula and cook for another 30 seconds. Now flip again and cook for 20 seconds, pressing gently on that side too. Remove and place onto a plate. Continue the same process with all the remaining rolled out theplas.
- Serve warm..