1. Chicken 1 kg, cut to medium size pieces
2. Red onion 1 big, finely chopped
3. Green chilly 6 nos, chopped into rounds
4. Ginger 3 tsp, chopped
5. Garlic 3 tsp, chopped
6. Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Coriander powder 2 TBSP, heaped
Crushed whole pepper 2 TBSP, heaped or more accordingly
Pepper powder ½ tsp
Garam masala 2 tsp
7. Tomato 2 medium, finely chopped
8. Cashew nut paste 3 TBSP (Soak the nuts for 10 minutes and grind to a smooth paste using 1-2 TBSPs water)
9. Curry leaves
10. Lime juice 1 tsp
11. Salt as needed
12. Coconut oil 1 TBSP
- Heat coconut oil in a deep pan and add the chopped ginger and garlic. Saute this for 3 minutes, until aromatic.
- Next add the green chilly and onions followed by salt and curry leaves. Saute this for 5-6 minutes until translucent.
- Now add ingredients number 6 one by one and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook covered for few minutes until mushy. Remove lid and add ¼ cup water and allow to boil.
- Add the cleaned, cut chicken and coat well with the masala. Cook this for few minutes and cover with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. This will attain a thick gravy consistency at this stage.
- Open lid and add the cashew paste and lime juice, mix well. Adjust salt and remove from fire. Serve with any kind of rice, chappathi, appam, idiyappam etc..